Friday 5 April 2013

Pre Tour de Taiwan 2013 with BlackBeauty

Had a thought of going touring with my bicycle but no idea how to start. Of course I need to own a bicycle before really plan my tour. About two years ago got myself a folding bicycle from Taiwan with help of a friend. This model was design by Taiwanese named Dr. Hon but my particular model was made for only Chinese market. From its color I named is BlackBeauty.

BlackBeauty has been with me for several rides, and I started to make her "slimmer" to enjoy the adrenaline of speed. Been facing a lot of obstacle along the way when I bring BlackBeauty to shop for service and/or part upgrade. Due to its unique "born" location and brand name, she was classified as a dirt cheap bicycle by some arrogant cyclist/technician/shop owner. Is it really about the bike and not the ride???

After a while making BlackBeauty slimmest I could (10.5kg) yet not loose its originality, I decided to bring her go further in distance. I wanted to see how far she could bring me to and explore the world. With that in mind BlackBeauty need to have some "implant surgery" which I later regret doing it for her. Front and rear racks, Schwalbe Big Apple 20x2.0 tyres, waterproof handle-bar bag, waterproof rear panniers, big bottle cage, etc. 

It took me about a year to plan this tour from equipment to self training to routing to accommodation.


This setup was plan for training, started with 2x1.5l water then slowly increase up to 9x1.5l plus 3kg of dumb bell to simulate the actual for the tour. During training I am using Schwalbe Big Apple 20x2.0.


In some days when I was not in town then have to rely on these machine to get myself work on the stamina.


From the elevation profile measured on routing we found from some websites, I decided to double my crank chain ring. This is to overcome some difficulties in climbing with the load I have on my BlackBeauty.


Final setup or "implant" on BalckBeauty.
- Front Derailer with double chain ring
- new chain for 9 speed
- new bottom bracket
- front and rear mugguard
- front and rear rack
- KlikFix on handle bar for bag
- 1.5l PET bottle cage
- special mounting on front brake for light.
- new headset


Tent on front rack, sleeping bag no where to be place. I didn't buy any sleeping bag because running low on budget thus borrowing from a friend. This sleeping is really bulky and I could not find a solution how to bring along this sleeping bag. In the end I dumped the idea of bringing sleeping bag.


Initial plan on how to bagged my stuff, this will cause my handling problem.


That's the final setup for this tour.
After the tour you may see my comment why I said this is too much.


I get to know about Social Hiking - Share Your Adventure from another great tourer. She had her location recorded and pin on the map so other could see where she is. Although I am not keen on letting others know exactly where I am but for purpose of telling my family I am doing good at which location is important.
To find out where I have been on the island you may checkout my map at http://www.shareyouradventure.com/map/google/RonnieSoon/Tour-de-Taiwan



This little torch is my favorite tool when going outdoor, I thought I lost it (not working) but managed to repair it myself just a day before this tour.


Most important bag, this is a must to carry medicines which is working on my body system.


Most people will have their local mobile subscription when they touched down at the airport. I am a little more luckier to have this friend Da Yang getting it ready for me. It was unlimited data with IDD and local call enabled.
This friend of mine recommend this mobile operator due to its coverage. We are able to go online almost everywhere and call signal was always there for us.


These will keep me alive, fresh and energetic.
2x Cycling jersey
2x Cycling pants
1x Rashguard
1x Quickdry long sleeve
2x Head scarf
2x Glove
1x Spare glass
1x 720armour 專業型運動太陽眼鏡 SpeederRX
1x Strap sandal
1x Sandal
1x Long pants
2x Shorts
3x Shirts
3x Undies
1x Poncho
1x Leggin
1x Arm sleeve
1x Wind breaker

1x Helmet
1x Front torch & rear blink
1x Reflector
1x Medication
1x Lock with long chain
1x Topeak Wedge bag
1x Multitool with plier
1x Spare tube
1x Spare tyre
1x Chain link
1x Bicycle pump
4x Brake pad

1x Garmin Edge 800
1x Bell
2x Swiss knife
1x Side mirror
1x Water bottle

2x Mobile battery
1x Mobile phone
1x Eternal HDD backup
1x GoPro HD2
1x Spare batt - GoPro
1x Chest mount - GoPro
1x Helmet mount - GoPro
1x Skeleton case - GoPro
2x USB charge
1x Extension cord
1x Camera
1x Cables
3x 32GB SD memory card
1x Travel adapter
1x Earphone

1x Microfibre towel
1x Body shampoo
1x Hair shampoo
1x Tooth brush and paste
1x Shaver
1x Detergent

2x Vincita Pannier
1x Vincita Handlebar bag
2x Ziplock bag
10x Trash bag
1x Bicycle bag

2x Instant noodle
23x 3in1 Milo
4x Biscuits
1x Thermal flask

1x Notebook and pen
1x 16GB Memory stick
1x Passport and photocopy
50x Cable ties
1x Duct tape
4x Bungie cord
1x Tent
1x Mess tin
1x Solid fuel stand
1x Money and cards
1x Toilet roll
1x Clothing line
1x Flag with pole 


My BlackBeauty was nicely store inside Birdy box without removing any part. Although the carton used was thick but going through several airports cannot guarantee it will protect my BlackBeauty well.
Thanks to Fei Lee GW Cycle for the box.


Pre-planned route with the distance shown.


No comments:

Post a Comment