Thursday 11 April 2013

Tour de Taiwan Day 09 - Hualian (花蓮) to Chongde (崇德)

The changed of plan day before to take train from Taidong (台東) to Hualian (花蓮) is to make time for today ride. From a conversation my bewteen my ride partner and an old couple at the motel in Taidong they highly recommend we go to a place called Tianxiang (天祥) inside Taroko Gorge National Park (太魯閣國家公園) second largest park in Taiwan. They claimed the view along the way was the best and worth spending time for this climb up to 480 meters above sea level. The distance from Hualian to Tianxiang is about 43.5 kilometers but we prefer to go Chongde (崇德) first which is about 3 kilometers from the intersection to Taroko Gorge National Park. In this way we could just leave our panniers and those unnecessary item with the homestay which I contacted day before to arrange.
The cyclist friend left the room earlier than us while the other two Chinese guys still asleep thus not able to say goodbye to them. Leave at about 6:00 am in the morning then got our breakfast from a shop along the way.
From Hualian going to Chongde is not a difficult way except one section when we have to turn into legendary Suhua Provincial Highway 9 (蘇華公路) we have to climb a tall bridge. After the bridge will be the intersection where we can go into Taroko Gorge. A smooth rolling down towards Chongde town makes me worry about the climb after we place our panniers in homestay. Another challenge was to find the homestay because all the maps we have do not provide detail for us to find the homestay.
Found homestay then quickly unload and move on to Taroko Gorge. The ride to Taroko Gorge National Park was not that difficult and the scene was magnificent. Had several stop for photos but due to my amateur skill the result of the photos were so bad. When reaching Tianxiang we grab our lunch from a "tourist" restaurant which cost us a lot compare to those we had before. After lunch we just head down to Chongde and an early rest for today, some sort of preparation for tomorrow challenge that everyone labelled it most dangerous try out. 
On the way down decided to capture the view of Taroko Gorge on video thus fixing my GoPro camera on my helmet. Since my photos was not a good one but with the video will help to capture those view I missed. Half way down we saw a group of cyclist on small wheels like us going up toward Tianxiang too. They look like a family of several cyclist going for an outing together.
Few kilometers before reaching Taroko Gorge National Park visitor center it rain and getting heavier. I have to ride faster to get shelter at the visitor center then make a call to my ride partner. We are going different way and agreed to meet up in homestay instead of finding each other. it was not long the rain is not that heavy then I quickly hop on my BlackBeauty and sprint away. We both safely arrived homestay without getting too wet besides those are our sweat.
At this day and looking at the future ride we will have decided to drop some of our load to final destination, Taipei (台北). Removing most of the items that we do not need anymore then bring it to nearest 7-11 to post it to my friend house in Taipei. To my surprise they are using Yamato courier service (黑貓宅急便) and it cost a lot cheaper than those in Malaysia. Since we are in convenient store so we will buy our dinner here.


A shot at the entrance to the hostel before go nearby looking for breakfast.


Started to fall in love with this breakfast (肉鬆蛋餅), and this time I ask for hot soya bean.


It is still earlier for the people in Hualian or just this part of the street has less traffic?


On my way to homestay I keep keep looking out for the mountain I might need to climb for today or tomorrow.


After this I saw a sign showing Provincial HIghway 9, Suhua Highway.


This is near to Taroko Gorge, could it be that mountain was the place?


This bridge is tall and only one we have to climb before reaching homestay. At the end of the bridge is the intersection where you will be lead to Taroko Gorge.


We will be staying here, the name is same to the ocean we are facing from here thus hoping to see a nice beach around.


Taroko Gorge National Park visitor center.


A mark of our journey and this is one of the must go place in the list.


Group photo of our achievement.


Continue climbing up (or in to) other part of Taroko Gorge, Xipan (溪畔) at 175 meters above sea level.


A dam built in Taroko Gorge and the water look so clean and clear.


At the entrance of Swallow Grotto (燕子口), one of the famous sight must visit when come to Taroko Gorge.


We have to detour from main road to go into Swallow Grotto, inside Swallow Grotto was one way traffic only. It was changed to single flow traffic to give way for the tourist to enjoy this scenic place. Every tourist who came by coach will alight from coach then walk a distance of 1.4 kilometers.


A suspension bridge made for walking, hoping to try this when I will have a chance to visit Taroko Gorge again.


Panoramic view of the walk path and main road, the road at higher altitude was the main road and if you do not wish to visit Swallow Grotto this is the road you should be taking.


A view from Swallow Grotto.


Most of the walking path was exactly at the edge of the cliff, to capture the view of those nice scene one third of mt body was out of this guard rail. 


That's the end of Swallow Grotto and from the rock formation you can see it is a must to wear the safety helmet when walking along the path. A booth with safety helmet was setup a kilometer before Swallow Grotto for tourist, from my understanding it is free of charge when you need to borrow one of those safety helmet. A courtesy from the caretaker and I do hope everyone who visit this place would appreciate it and return the helmet for others to enjoy the benefit.


Some says you can see the image red indian chief from the rock formation, spend 15 minutes staring at this photo yet can't find any. But for sure that tunnel do look great from here.


A loacl tourist offer to take our group photo with Kind Mother bridge (慈母橋). In fact she did approach me before and I told her I am waiting for a friend. Ishh...forgot to get her contact!


Looks like a temple but even when I get closer still not sure if it is just a hut or temple.


Kind Mother Bridge that was rich with histories.


We have to start moving otherwise may ride in hunger.


Tiangxiang at 480 meters above sea level, this is the entrance to the first stop (travel from east side) you can find many facilities include restaurant.


This bridge will bring you to a famous temple where visitor will come to pray.


At the park in Tianxiang.


Inside this pricey restaurant but we have no other choice because this place was mainly for tourist.


Ordered set lunch but the portion was too big moreover next table customer gave us another dish which they ordered too much.


Look at the bus behind, it was not able to make the turn which is narrow yet low clearance. My ride partner was initially stuck behind the traffic then he managed to pass them.


Caught in the rain and I take shelter in Taroko Gorge National Park visitor center.


When I first shown this power extension cord many comment about it being unnecessary. Look at these gadget and I still 1-2 device wait for its turn.


Love to turn on this baby 24 hours 7 days a week but the pain is when you edit it. You can just show all because nobody will watch a 13 (days) x 14 (hours) movies. For this trip I record only those I think worth doing. 


This is my parcel, weighted at approximately 9 kilograms but cost me only NTD200 to ship with a courier company.


We can send to another 7-11 store to collect later but we were not told that only specific store will accept it. Now I know and telling everybody about it and please make sure you know where you want to send it to.


When return from 7-11 store with our dinner, I decided to go look for beach. This part of the sea do not have nice beach but many fisherman will come back to this shore. This net was pull back from the sea and local who stay nearby will collect those seafood (especially shell fish) trap in the net which is not going to be taken by fisherman.


A view at the shore and the skies looks like going to rain but it was not. If you are still on the mountain at this time better to stay put instead of trying to go down hill.


Taken my dinner and now enjoying the titbit while watching TV. 


Two days later we should be visiting Jiufen (九份) and it happen that my friend Peter was there at this time. I thought he was joking with me then he send me proof and recommend the food in this shop (I ate in this shop before he tells me...lol).


He help me to find homestay in Jiufen and show me how to get there. It was near to this famous restaurant.



Actual ride route on day 09 with elevation profile and speed graph against distance.


Ride detail from my Garmin Edge 800.

No comments:

Post a Comment